Why are we obsessed with Fennel Seeds?
Fennel seeds are superstars!
The tiny seeds, known as fennel seeds that you cook with, are actually the fruit of the fennel plant, which is a perennial herb that’s native to Europe and the Mediterranean. Unlike cruciferous veggies like broccoli, cabbage, and kale, fennel is easy to digest.
- Blood pressure: because the seeds are high in potassium, they can help to regulate your heartbeat and keep your heart muscles strong, and functional, and balances sodium in your blood. The diuretic quality will act to lower your blood pressure. The high fiber content acts to block the reabsorption of "bad" cholesterol, lowering LDL levels, good for cardiovascular health and blood pressure.
- Diuretic - a great source of fiber to flush toxins from the colon and kidneys.
- Digestive problems: antispasmodic that can ease cramping from diarrhea, gas, nausea, and vomiting. Relieves constipation and safely and naturally relieves gas. Aids in diabetes regulation. Additionally, its' anti-cramping properties can provide relief for colicky babies. Eating fennel seeds or drinking fennel tea after a meal will aid the digestion of heavy or fatty foods.
- Clear sinuses: Fennel seeds contain alpha-pinene, which is a naturally occurring expectorant that loosens phlegm and controls cough. Break up congestion and clear out your sinuses when you have a cold.
- BAD BREATH BUSTER: many high-end restaurants will provide fennel seeds to cleanse the palate between courses and to fight bad breath after eating. The seeds boost the production of saliva which can stop dry mouth and simply wash away bad breath germs.
- Lowers blood glucose levels in diabetics. In addition to the powerful compound Anethole, fennel seeds have high levels of vitamins such as C which aids in lowering blood sugar.
- Skin and Hair: used externally it can soften the skin on the face, stop acne and help heal cuts and scrapes. It'll ease scalp itching. These benefits are due to the antimicrobial and antibiotic properties of fennel seeds.
- Breastfeeding mothers. Fennel seeds can improve milk production. The phytoestrogen properties increase estrogen levels naturally. May even be a natural way to boost fertility in females.
- Morning Sickness: Fennel seeds may be used to calm the stomach and offer quick relief from morning sickness. Chewing fennel seeds or having fennel tea may help. Fennel seeds may also prevent stomach gas and encourage the expulsion of gas. They may help treat nausea as well.
- Fennel seeds have a history of being used as an aphrodisiac or libido booster.
- Curb that appetite! The fiber content keeps you full for longer.
- Anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is linked to many diseases.
- Boost your immune system. In addition to infection-fighting Anethole, fennel seeds have a high amount of vitamins.